Pages

Sunday, April 20, 2014

Thinking of You

 
Happy Easter,
everyone.
 
I'm still 'on the road', so to speak.
 
Taking care of personal business has
required me to linger longer in the New England states
before returning to Cape Breton,
not affording me very much computer time.
 
I've only been traveling for 3 weeks,
but it feels like an eternity.
 
Presently, I am celebrating Easter with Little Sister
and family in the Maine woods,
enjoying the busy Barred Owls by night and
 the return of the birds by day, one species at a time.
 
I don't really have anything to share,
so thought one of my favorite recipes might be nice.
It won't be long before those vegetable gardens
are producing some tender, young zucchini...
and more zucchini...
and more.....
 
Mushroom-Zucchini Pie
 
1 C chopped onion           ¾ lb. mushrooms, sliced 
¾ lb. zucchini, sliced                             ¼ lb. butter
2 T flour                                1 tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper            ¼ t. thyme
 
½ lb. (2 C) Swiss Cheese or Monterey Jack 
 
1 double pie crust
1 egg yolk
1 T water
 
In large skillet, saute onion, mushrooms, and zucchini in butter until crisp-tender (5 min.). Drain. Add flour, salt, pepper, and thyme. Mix lightly to coat. Remove from heat.
 
Preheat oven to 375. Prepare pie crust. Use 2/3 dough (9” pan).
Combine mushroom mix and cheese, pour into pie shell.
Lattice on top. Brush with egg yolk and water.
Bake 40 minutes.
 
This pie freezes well, too!
 
xo,
karen
 
 






13 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

enjoy your time in maine! happy easter to you.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Sounds like a wonderful place to be.

Abby and Stephanie said...

Happy Easter. Happy Spring. Happy, Happy, Everything! Thanks for sharing the recipe. YUM!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

enjoy your time with your family! barn owls sound nice to enjoy looking at. Maybe the snow will be melted by time you make your way home to Canada

FAB said...

Happy Easter Karen.

Montanagirl said...

Have a wonderful visit and Happy Easter to you and yours!

Lois Evensen said...

Safe travels and Happy Easter. :)

Linda said...

Happy Easter Karen! You are getting closer! It's still freezing cold here. Please bring some warmth with you!
Your recipe sounds yummy. I will have to give it a try. thanks hugs

john bord said...

safe travels, hope it was a good Easter.

Karen said...

I have missed you. Have safe travels. I will try this recipe it sounds wonderful. Talk to you soon.

Jo Ferguson said...

Even with everything I ate over the Easter weekend, and there was lot of it, that pie has my mouth watering.

Barb said...

Three weeks is a long time....thanks for popping in

Kathie Brown said...

Karen, are you nearby to me? Shoot me an email. I would love to see you before you leave if possible! Enjoy the Maine Woods. I am loving it here!