Pages

Friday, May 30, 2014

Finally Spring!

 
I must have done something right in a previous life,
because despite working very hard to mess this one up,
I am a lucky girl in so many ways.
 
Take spring, for instance.
I get to welcome spring to S. Texas,
 
Texas Bluebonnets
 
then to Massachusetts,

Marsh-marigold
 
next in Maine,


Leatherleaf
 
and FINALLY, Siberia Cape Breton,

May 29th, 2014
Cape Breton interior

where I thought spring would
never show it's pretty face.

Spring-Beauties, first of the forest flowers

 
But there you have it!
Not many ephemeral flowers were in bloom
in the Cape Breton woods,
maybe in another week.
It's been a longgggggg winter.
 
Haven't cranked up the sewing machine, yet,
but it has been professionally serviced,
and is raring to go!
 
First up is to finish this very old UFO.
 
 
About 4 or 5 or 6 years ago,
when the Disappearing 9-patch became popular,
I thought to increase the size of the squares to 6.5"
so I could include these Colorado Blocks in the mix.
It's a wedding gift for my niece,
who's ONLY been married almost that long!!
I think she's waited long enough for her quilt.
 
However,
I foolishly thought it was time to strip, sand, and paint
the bathroom cabinets.
I'm SO sorry I started THAT project!
But, it comes first, because I know me....
....as soon as I fire up that machine,
all I'll want to do is.....
SEW!
 
Hope you are looking forward to
a wonderful weekend!
xo,
karen
 
 

23 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

you really get to enjoy the best of spring all thru n. america! funny, we get spring beauties here in texas in january. :)

Abby and Stephanie said...

Flowers and sewing are rewards for the more laborious projects. :o) Glad your Siberian winter is past.

Lesley said...

Thank goodness my deck is not in the woods...no snow in sight! A gorgeous sunny and warm day. Loved seeing your pictures of Spring flowers all over the country. Good luck with your chores!

eileeninmd said...

The wildflowers are beautiful! Lovely scenes from your travels.. Have a happy weekend!

Raewyn said...

Lovely to see the spring flowers on your travels. Hope the bathroom cabinets job finishes quickly so you can get sewing!!

Sheila said...

Lovely signs of spring in your travels but poor old Cape Breton is behind the game but it will soon catch up . Don't work too hard :-)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

spring! and here it is just about full fledged summer! although this week is very wet and cooler but in another day or so 90's yuck! your hike with the snow on the ground looks wonderful. I am looking forward to August and September when we will be in Wyoming and Montana

Barb said...

Your pictures are fabulous and I so love your quilt!

DeniseinVA said...

Enjoyed the sequence of photos Karen, such pretty flowers. Good luck on the cabinets. I love the look of your wedding gift to your niece. She's going to love it!

Linda Reeder said...

I don't know whether ti feel shamed or not, but I have not done any sewing since last June! I have done a lot of gardening though! and other stuff. maybe in the fall I'll find a project that needs finishing and get going again.

Karen said...

Very pretty flowers for your journey northbound going home. I love the colors in your UFO. I can't wait to see the finished quilt.

FAB said...

Spring flowers through numerous States in the blink of an eye ... yeah I know it took much longer Karen.

Now you can look forward to seeing it happen back at home. I should ditch the chores and enjoy yourself.

Sondra said...

4 springs in one yr!! Wow what a life!! That is going to be one lovely quilt when its complete...I know what you mean about the painting project I have an entire house project I wish I had not started! Fire it up and enjoy asap!

hetty said...

Love the quilt! The wild flowers are beautiful. So nice to be able to welcome spring in so many places. Hope Cape Breton warms up soon, and don't work to hard on those cabinets!

Fiona said...

wonderful to have enjoyed spring the way you have...and such a pretty little quilt..... I had to laugh that you then started something different!
Hugz

Montanagirl said...

Terrific series of photos - and that quilt is lovely, and I'm sure she'll love it.

Roy Norris said...

You are one lucky Girl.{:))

Rambling Woods said...

You are a lucky girl! .... Michelle

Vickie said...

Wonderful pictures....I gotta love, love that bluebonnet. :)

Kathie Brown said...

Love the spring flowers! I can't believe you still have snow in places! I took my grandkids swimming/wading in the ocean this weekend, but only 2 of the four were brave enough to go in and only briefly!

Binsa said...

enjoyed your post, love the quilt, Warm Regards, Lyn

Just Ramblin' said...

Beautiful spring flowers. Imagine the snow has now disappeared. Nola

eileeninmd said...

Gorgeous wildflowers and images. And the quilt is just beautiful.