Pages

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Cool, Crisp, and Calm


Today dawned cool, crisp, and calm.


This was the view from my window.

It didn't surprise me at all when I turned around
and saw this morning moon.


I love early mornings the very best.
Sights like this give me hope
and inspiration to start my day.

While I was sewing yesterday,
I glanced up to look out the sliding glass door,
and discovered I had a little visitor.


This juvenile Sharp-shinned Hawk 
took advantage of this puddle
and had a long and lengthy bath.


These are the types of distractions
I love best!!

It's been a busy end of summer.
But I have managed to do a little sewing.
My Crafty Daughter requested seasonal wallhangings
some time ago and I manage to put one or two together
each year.

Meet April.


This pattern called, "Use batiks!!" to me,
and I love how it came out.
I know you all recognize it as one of
I've made a few now and they are lots of fun.
I raw edge appliqued this one through all layers,
so it was self quilted!  Upon completion, all I had to do
was apply the binding.  I felt pretty safe using this technique
with batiks, they are so tightly woven.

Cute, quick story.  
One of my quilty friends here on the island 
(who laughs a lot)



has a son who lives in Tennessee and plays bass guitar,




most recently for Thompson Square.




 After growing weary of being on the road, he quit playing with the Thompson's and was freelancing for a little while.  My friend stopped by for a visit the other day and told me that some girl, who will be the opening act for Garth Brook's new tour, asked him to be her bass player.  He was pretty excited because he was going to get to tour on Garth's private jet instead of on a bus.  Come to find out, 'some girl' is Tricia Yearwood, (Garth's wife).  My friend obviously isn't up on her country western stars.  (When Thompson Square played in San Antonio a couple of years ago, he got us tickets to the concert.)

Well, it's time to truly start my day!
After being greeted by such a beautiful morning,
I can't wait!!

Happy day to you.
~karen

32 comments:

Abby and Stephanie said...

Mother Nature does morning like no one else. Gorgeous. Love Miss April. Too funny about "some girl." When I win the lottery I shall travel by private jet. Then on worries about fights over reclining seats. :o)

Roy Norris said...

That first image is very special Karen.

Sondra said...

That is a great idea the seasonal hangings, and I love the one you pictured...great work. Super sightings out your window and great news for a talented young man--

TexWisGirl said...

'some girl'. oh, my! :)

love the hawk bathing and gorgeous skies!

Sheila said...

Incredible view and that hawk sure was enjoying his bath , lovely distraction for sure . Oh your April shower hanging is adorable and how clever to do the appliqué and quilting all in one . Your daughter will love it . Your friends son is obviously very talented to be playing with Garth Brooke's , incredible .

Lynn said...

What a gorgeous view. I always love seeing hawks, except of course when they are after my chickens. I just want to say publicly that if anyone wants to invite me to travel on their private jet I would be happy to do so.

Fiona said...

beautiful nature pictures... nature can be such a lovely distraction... great wallhanging...and what great news for your friend.. and her son...
Hugz

Linda Reeder said...

Too bag I didn't see this post earlier in my day. I might have been inspired to accomplish more!

Lois Evensen said...

How very cool for your friend's son! Your morning images are gorgeous. :)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love that gorgeous view - we had a moon scene like that here too in the Grand Tetons - beautiful!

Teresa in Music City said...

Wow! Lovely scenery to inspire you every day Karen :) And your friend's son lives in my neck of the woods! I'll keep my eye out for the Trisha tour :)

Lin said...

Beautiful photographs Karen - I do love a sunrise/sunset and how special to watch that hawk bathing! Love your April hanging too - such gorgeous, cheerful colours. xx

Raewyn said...

Oh yes!! A lovely way to start the day and also great distractions! I"m a morning person too, love the peace and quiet and freshness of a new day. Your April showers is gorgeous, I'm sure your daughter will be delighted!

DeniseinVA said...

What a cool story about your friend's son. I enjoy watching Tricia Yearwood's cooking show on the food channel. Love your quilt, the hawk, the moon and that pretty scene with the boat. Those morning hours are the best.

Maria said...

What an amazing view to wake up to..

Your season wall hanging is gorgeous, I am sure your daughter will love it.

Linda said...

Gorgeous photos! We have had an amazing few weeks, weather-wise. Nothing better than Nova Scotia when the weather is good! Too funny about your quilty friend.

Carrie P. said...

what a glorious day to wake up to.
Love seeing the hawk take his morning bath.
Very pretty quilt.
How exciting for your friend's son.

Teatime Creations said...

Love the picture of the bird bath. And how can you best that morning moon ? The hanging maked me smile.

Judy said...

Wow, I LOVE that first photo!! What an outstanding view to see. I'm with you on early mornings-there really is something special about the feel of a brand new day and seeing the colors change in the sky. I love the batik quilt with the cheery colors! Touring with Trisha and Garth? That sounds like a lot of fun!!

Kathie Brown said...

Karen, what a fun story...all of it! Love the scenery and the hawk. Your quilt piece looks lovely and what a story at the end! Do you think you will see the northern lights tonight? I am going out to look soon!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Some girl............giggle. What a wonderful thing to get to do.

Just Ramblin' said...

Checking your blog once again and apparently the comment I left awhile back did not work. I love the picture of the moon. It has been like that here in the early mornings as I leave for work. Very pretty! It is so much fun watch birds taking a bath and this one looks like he is really loving it! I can sit forever in my yard and watch the little birds as they bathe in my birdbath. I get quite a chuckle out of them when two or three try to get in the water at the same time. Love your wallhanging using the batiks. Your daughter is very lucky! Hope things are going well. Nola

Rambling Woods said...

Happy Day to you...love the sharpie... and the family news and your craftwork...Michelle

Lesley said...

I missed this post! Love the April quilt and love the story about the bass guitarist. I am a Garth fan from way back...how cool!

Barb said...

OH...I need to get busy and do my calendars...my one friend that I started it with has all of the tops done...and here I sit...hummm Loved the pictures

Silvana Vituriano Celistre said...

I love your use batiks!

Unknown said...

Beautiful nature pictures, dear Karen!! I LOVE your wallhanging!!! Have a great day...
Hugs
Deborah

JRandSue said...

Amazing post,your first image,looks like a dream view,people would pay good money to see that.
Great photography.
John.

eileeninmd said...

Wow, what a gorgeous sunrise. The moon shot is lovely too. They are both beautiful distractions along with the cool hawk taking a bath.. Your wallhanging is cute.. I like both Tricia and Garth! Great post!

BTW, thanks for visiting my post and for the comment. Enjoy your week!

Vickie said...

You have an AMAZING view ! LOL on some girl !

Rohrerbot said...

Gorgeous blanket! I do love those beautiful moon pics. There's nothing quite like this time of year.

Sparky said...

how cool is that.....we are heading to nashville soon....it is a small world....isn't it...love your photos..