Pages

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

One Monthly Goal March Finish


It's time for


And I did finish my green paper lanterns flimsy.
However, I packed it into my luggage before photographing it.
Sorry about that!
But I'm on the road, now, so it isn't going to happen.

Before leaving TX, I made a Diaper Clutch from a tutorial at LemonSqueezyHome. I've made several of these because my sweet friend in Houston asked for one when she had her first child 7 years ago, and she STILL uses it. Whenever she needs a shower gift, she asks for another.  Her husband told me that it's all he brings when he has the babies out.  I surmise that carrying a diaper bag isn't always the manly thing to do!


There's little that frustrates me more than turning a project right side out, then having to try to manipulate a mere quarter inch to fold under and finish.

I thought I'd share my trick, which is easy enough to do, and produces crisp, clean finishes with that professional look.

First, I measure out an extra quarter inch in the seam allowance to be turned, giving me a 1/2" seam allowance.

Next, I pre-press it, but open it back up and pin it as I would normally do.

Then, I just stitch around my project, whatever it might be, and turn it right side out like always.

Finally, I am able to fold in the seam allowance neatly and accurately to close up my hole.  It comes out perfect every time!

You may also notice that the bottom corners are rounded.  Rather than clip those curves, I take the pinking shears to them.  Makes a nice smooth corner!




Just prior to heading north, we visited our Houston friend and had a wonderful time, especially with the kids, including a very cold visit to the Houston Zoo.


The baby loved his pillow case.


The 4 year old wanted to try her hand at crochet!


And the 7 year old wanted to 'learn to knit'!
She finished a hat before we left!

Be sure to visit Patty
to see everyone else's monthly accomplishments!
Let's make this linky party
a real party!
I know each participant will appreciate your visit,
and it's a great opportunity to meet someone new!

Enjoy your day!
I won't complain about going from 80+ degrees
to only 39!

XO,
Karen




38 comments:

Abby and Stephanie said...

How fun to share crafting with little ones who are interested. The diaper clutch is such a great idea and so useful. Safe travels!

Lesley said...

Looks like you had a wonderful visit! Love to see the little ones learning crafting! Take your time in your travels..I hear there is a blizzard warning at home...ugh!

Raewyn said...

The diaper clutch is a good idea - lovely that you get asked for repeats of it!! It sounds like you enjoyed your visit to your friend and how wonderful to spend some crafty time with the children :-)

Jeanna said...

Congrats on accomplishing your OMG! I have been a bit distracted (all good) and hope to be back on track for April.

Safe travels and stay warm!

Tish Stemple said...

Congrats on finishing the paper lantern top, I can't wait to see it once you get back home. I can definitely see how that diaper clutch would come in very handy, that was a great idea! Be careful in your travels.

Patty said...

Glad you finished your green flimsy but do come back and share a photo when you unpack so we can all see it! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts and congrats on your finish.

Kate @ Smiles From Kate said...

Congrats on your monthly goal accomplishment Karen. The kids look like they are having fun, and what concentration. Safe journey home my friend.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

bet you had fun with the kids, always fun to try to teach them crafts

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen wow lots happening for you,thankyou for sharing your tip and awesome that the 7 year old made a hat,safe travels my friend.

Fiona said...

I must try your way of turning in those seams.... they never seem to quite fit for me...

I love that large knitting ring - never tried one of those.

Hugz

Sondra said...

You are so professional! Love your work, hope you are having a super trip back up north.

DeniseinVA said...

A fun post Karen, lovely to see the little ones enjoying themselves and always enjoy your creations.

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

Congrats on the finish. We'll just have to wait to see it until you get home. Safe travels.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

So sweet to be able to help a little one.

Karen said...

You are so accomplished! The kids would be so excited to be learning to knit and crochet. I've never seen such a big knitting ring - like a giant Knitting Nancy. Safe travels home!

Simone de Klerk said...

Fun post! Love seeing children handcrafting! Look forward to see the finished lanterns!

Needled Mom said...

That's a great diaper clutch. It's always fun to be asked to make gifts like that.

That wee one looks so intent on her work! That is fun.

Heidi said...

You and Green Paper Lantern have a cold date ahead! Congrats on the finish and it is lovely to see you pictures enjoying your babes! Safe travels Karen!

Sharon - IN said...

Nice projects, and getting to share with the kiddos as they show interest!

Just Ramblin' said...

Congratulations on meeting your goal. It will be fun to see a picture when you arrive home and unpack it. It looks like these little girls were really enjoying themselves and so neat that you would take the time to teach them. Sadly, it doesn't seem like many children want to do these types of things any more, so that is why I'm always excited when one of my grandsons wants to try something. Thanks for the "tutorials". I will be anxious to try them. Never thought of using pinking shears. It's always fun to learn something new. Hope all is going well with your travels. Nola

Barb said...

Thanks for the tutorial....and what a wonderful teacher you are...lucky to have you. I am sure you will be missed.

Anonymous said...

What great pictures of fun things. I love the sitting position of the 7 year old. You and I could never work like that!

Karen's Korner said...

I must remember that trick of the extra seam allowance.

Becky said...

Great tip for adding an extra quarter inch. Thanks, KaHolly!

Sandra :) said...

The other frustrating thing about folding under such a small seam allowance, is that the edge seems to "dip", and instead of a straight line, you get a curved one! I do the "leave more of a s.a." trick as well - it's easier to work with a bigger allowance, and I think it allows us to get a nicer, crisper edge :)

It looks like the Houston kiddos - and someone else! ;) - had a great time - maybe I should pull out my round loom and find some yarn :D If a 7 year old can make a hat, surely it shouldn't be beyond the non-existent yarn skills of a 55 y.o.? :D

Cheryl said...

Looks like you had a wonderful visit. It is always fun to craft with kids.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the finish. Love seeing children getting the chance to create.

Anthea said...

The diaper clutch is such a great idea - so useful but quite stylish too... xx

Linda said...

Looks like a fun visit with your little friends. Love the pics of you teaching. Not hard to tell who owns the little cuties. Love your two little sewing tricks.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

What a cute diaper holder.

helenjean@midgetgemquilts said...

Your travels seem to be going well . Well done with the green lantern flimsy , looking forward to the big ta da finish

Julie Cefalu said...

That's a great tip for turning in those edges! I like the idea of a diaper clutch and it seems the perfect gift for a new parent. Good luck with your return to home and colder weather.

Sheila said...

I had never seen a diaper clutch but it sure looks like a handy thing for parents to take along . How sweet to teach the little ones to knit and crochet , you are a dear and I bet they loved having you around . Safe travels my friend .

Createology said...

I love that little ones want to learn crafts. Love the Diaper Clutch and your tips are great. Happy Finishing your projects. Safe Travels...<3

Binsa said...

Enjoyed catching up with your post Karen...good to see the young ones learning those crafts

Allie-oops Designs said...

PINKING SHEARS - oh my golly that's brilliant!! I must try that! And a 1/2" seam allowance, oh you are so smart! The kids are too adorable - I think you created a new crochet fan!

Cheryl said...

The diaper clutch is perfect, very beautiful and functional.

Scrapatches said...

Thanks for all the tips and tricks to making the adorable baby shower gift ... :) Pat