Pages

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Domestic Diva? Hardly!


At some point during my early morning sewing binge, 
it occurred to me that sewing on a domestic machine isn't exactly 
'being domestic', 
so I decided to bite the bullet and threw not one, 
but two, loads of laundry into the washing machine.  
Then I felt smug because I could sew while the washer did all the work!  
I don't have a dryer, though, so I did have to stop long enough 
to hang everything out on the clothesline to dry.
And yes, to bring them in to fold and put away.
(Truthfully?  I piled them onto a chair 
in the corner of my bedroom for later.)


I have spent the better part 
of my spring/summer playing, 
whipping up blocks and patterns
that I've wanted to try
but haven't taken the time.
When a former student announced
her wedding date,
I took the opportunity to try
the pineapple block
that's been circulating.
It made a great wedding gift.


This is the only picture I took
before I slipped it into the mail,
but while it was (quite literally) hanging around
waiting to be finished,
I couldn't stop looking at it!
Depending on the time of day,
it never looked the same.
I love it.

I always like to have a "to go" project,
and in 2015, I was inspired by
Julie's Quilts and Costume's RSC Challenge project.
She was inspired by
a quilt called "True Colors"  in Nancy Mahoney's book,
Simple Curves and Quick Curves.





I collected several B/W, W/B print fat quarters,
hit up my scrap basket,
and got to work.

When it was time to return to the states for the winter,
I packed mine up and stored it away.
Fast forward to the following spring.
I had lost my mojo for this project,
declared my pile of appliqued circles as finished,
worked up a layout,
sewed it into rows,
and stored it away for another winter.

When I sewed the rows together this past spring,
I wanted it just a little larger,
so a quilting blogger friend suggested I use a white border
and quilt ghost blocks in black,
then bind it in black.




Thinking this was a grand idea,
I got to work.
Thankfully, I was trying out a new-to-me marking pen,
one that fades with time,




because quilting circles with black thread on white fabric
isn't for the faint of heart.
Having a nice bold line to follow surely helps.

I can highly recommend this pen,
but don't mark ahead of time, then leave it for later.
It fades more quickly than the directions 
lead you to believe.

Hope you are enjoying your summer days
as much as I have been!

~karen

PS - If you visited my previous post about our NSQBQ Round Robin adventure,
but you didn't have time to check in with the other girls (I didn't post pictures of their quilts), here's a quick snapshot of us all together!









31 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen good to seee that you have been busy ,glad its you doing the black circles on white,i would be freaking out as i am not a neat sewer,lol,thankyou for the thumbs up about the pen xx

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

You are the busy lady these days! Your black and white masterpiece has quilted up beautifully; I agree, that fadeaway pen is great. I have learned that the length of time the ink is visible is directly related to the humidity level. Your Pineapple block is stunning, well done!

Jeanna said...

Your pineapple block is very nice. I love the quilting you did on it. A blog friend made one into a garden flag for me. I have in displayed under my lanai because it is too nice to put out in the flower bed.

You and your friends made some stunning quilts.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love your quilt group photo with your quilts - I do love them all. I tend to loose interest on some projects and go back over time to finish (and sometimes not) I will have to look for the marker that you have sometimes I just want a mark there for a little bit.

Sondra said...

You make me feel lazy! I thought sweeping made me domestic! Back home I hang my laundry out just because its so much better however my cloths get bigger so some I enjoy drying. The pineapple looks fab...I know she loved it! Ideas all 3 blogs all beautiful projects!

Lois Evensen said...

Hi! I have to identify with your opening. I've been knitting (surprised?) and having a fabulous time working on a design. Then, the guilt hit. I, too, put in laundry. As I walked by, I took at look at the dishes in the sink and decided there aren't enough to make a full batch in the dishwasher (quite yet) and came up here to vacuum the second floor. Hmm, seems I was sidetracked to the blog, well, your blog to be specific. ;) I'll post this, then vacuum the sitting room and bed room (a good token vacuum job), then, let's see, I think I'll knit again for awhile.... ;)

Judy said...

What a wonderful quilt gift to give to someone! Lucky couple, for sure. Thanks for the mention of the book and the marking pen. A good marking pen is so nice to have on hand, especially if it does indeed fade like it's supposed to. Best wishes on your machine quilting your black and white quilt. I'm looking forward to seeing it when it's done!!

Kate @ Smiles From Kate said...

Black thread on white fabric? You are one brave woman and deserve the utmost respect. I'll try the pen, thank you. You are really motoring just now Karen, and it's looking great.

Lesley said...

I am loving that pineapple block! And I am very interested in your black and white quilt. I have made two quilts in these colours and have enough made for at least another one. Looking forward to your reveal!

Lynn said...

Enjoyed reading your post today! I like the pineapple! Every time I see one I get the urge to make one! I'm impressed with the black quilting on the white fabric!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Love your pineapple and the quilting. Maybe I should get married again so I can get one....giggle. After 51 years, I think I'm satisfied.

Fiona said...

gosh that quilt has it's own history now!!! haha.... looks wonderful so I'm looking forward to the end product.

All you girls did amazing round robin quilts..... so impressive and different
Hugz

Sheila said...

I love hanging out laundry, it doesn't feel like work at all lol . Loving the pineapple block and the wtay you quilted it was perfect. I will have to check out that marking pen , we are always looking for solutions at the church . ☺

Maria said...

Isn't it great we can sew while the washing is being done and it's good to get up and hang it out to give us a break from the sewing machine...
Loving that Circles quilt and look forward to seeing the finish.
Oh! seeing your "Pineapple " has reminded me I have a few Blocks tucked away in the cupboard too. Hmmm ! wonder when I'll get back to them ??
Your Round Robins are fantastic...

margaret said...

lots happening on your blog today loving the pineapple and like you like to make assorted blocks time I did something with them. Round robin quilts look lovely

Binsa said...

Loved the pineapple block Karen and enjoyed your post

Karen said...

Thanks for mentioning the marker, Karen. I haven't tried that one, but will keep an eye out. I do like my other Clover markers.
My old clothespole didn't make it through the last windstorm, and I am (im)patiently waiting the installation of a new one. I love hanging clothes on the line!

Lin said...

Oh yes, very brave to quilt in black!! Lovely pineapple. xx

Debbie said...

I enjoyed your post! I try to put laundry in to wash also, but domestic diva is not me. I would SO rather be quilting. Loved to see all the quilts in a row!

JanineMarie said...

Oh, I do hope the recipient of the wedding quilt sends you a photo of the quilt. I love the one you posted-it shows the quilting beautifully, but it makes me want to see the whole quilt. I'm glad you found a way to keep your domestic "work" from interfering with your domestic fun. Now I've also seen just enough of your circles and curves quilt to want to see more of it, too. And yes I did look at the rest of the round robin quilts. I'm so impressed with the creativity and variety of patterns.

Louise said...

Black thread on white fabric? Oo, you are very brave, Karen! I'm sure this quilt will be stunning :)

Anonymous said...

Under any circumstances, you are a brave woman! I think it must be hard to keep things going over a wintering, but the pineapple blocks look great with the quilting! Two loads of laundry makes you a domestic goddess! =)

FlourishingPalms said...

It's wonderful to see how your quilting skills and courage have grown! My favorite way to quilt circles is as you do: mark and follow the curve. But when I can quilt again, my plan is to perfect circles as ruler work. Have you tried that yet? I'm so envious of you being able to hang wet laundry outdoors! I intentionally did that for years (I have a dryer), but had to give it up when we moved to our community. Clotheslines are considered eyesores. I was never one to leave the clothes out past dry, but that makes no difference. If I was there, I'd hang out your clothes for you, so you could keep sewing. Then you'd be just a diva and I'd be your just your housekeeper!

Raewyn said...

Great to see the photo of the four quilts together! Hmmm - aren't we lucky these days to have machines that do our work for us so that we can play! I'm also hoping to see a 'proper' photo of the wedding quilt when it is received! Your border solution sounds a great idea - hope you're having fun with it...yes, I have one of those disappearing pens too (different brand) which really does disappear quicker than they suggest!

Preeti said...

Pineapples seem like a lot of work - be they patchwork or fruit. Therefore kudos to you for making it :-) All quilts look lovely. Black thread on white fabric is only for the bravest of us all. I tried it once and then chickened out - ripped it out. Pens, chalk pencils hera markets - so many choices and none is perfect - alas!!!

Roy Norris said...

Two loads of laundry Karen!!, goodness me. ;)

Linda said...

I love your pretty pineapple. The perfect wedding gift. You are my quilty hero for giving the black on white quilting a go. I know it is fabulous! Can't wait to see, hopefully in person.

helenjean@midgetgemquilts said...

i love the quilting on your pineapple block, and circles! I love circles and semi circles, but i have only tried free hand and it wasnt that sucessful.

Allie-oops Designs said...

I've had that pineapple block on my back burner for awhile, just love it. I remember marking a quilt with a fade-away marker one time, it faded out so many times on me I just gave it up, lol. Can't wait to see this quilt!

Carol Swift said...

I can't even imagine sewing black thread on white fabric, but your lines look perfect. Love the pineapple block! I'll be looking for that pen since the chalk thing about did me in on my last quilt.

Barb said...

Just love all the quilts, cute decal....