Pages

Monday, July 10, 2017

Round Robin Exchange


Five years ago, 
4 Nova Scotia quilt bloggers' worlds collided
(try to say THAT 3 times fast!)
and a very special bond was formed.

Last fall, when this small but mighty group met 
for the last time before winter, 
we discussed our third annual challenge, 
and decided that a round robin might be fun.  
So, we set up a schedule that wouldn't be stressful and got to work.


Sheila certainly doesn't look like she spent the morning
preparing the most amazing and delicious luncheon!

We chose to keep each quilty piece a secret
from the original contributor, 
and after a very long, 
too long wait,
due to unforeseen circumstances, 
we finally met up and made our exchange.


Lesley and Linda can't get over the detail on Lesley's quilt.

Sheila, of Sheila's Quilt World, hosted us in her lovely home, 
since she is located half way between 
Lesley (The Cuddle Quilter) and me
(or is it 'I'?  I'm never sure),
and Linda, Scrapmaster.
Linda's daughter, Niki, joined the party
and was such a big help behind the camera.


Linda's all excited and she hasn't even opened her quilt up, yet!

Last but not least,
mine!

Upside down, right side up, it all looks beautiful to me!

Inspiration for my 12" sq. center block
came from designer Sharon Tucker


American Patchwork and Quilting, June 2015

Round 2 was cleverly constructed by Sheila,
who also took her inspiration from this photo,
but substituted hexie flowers for the appliqued flowers shown,
embroidered a vine, and appliqued leaves.
She does such lovely handwork.




Round 3, by Lesley,
captures the whole essence of the quilt top,
don't you think?  It's up on my design wall, now,
and I just can't stop looking at it!




and Linda's Round 4
ingeniously links back to the center block
and pulls it all together.
She didn't repeat any fabrics in these Raspberry Kiss Blocks.
I think it's the perfect final round, and so Linda!




Here's one more look at the whole quilt.




The four of us, dubbed the Nova Scotia Quilt Bloggers Quartet,
(NSQBQ)
will be presenting a quilt show
in Amherst, Nova Scotia
from October 10th - 14th.
Our goal is to have them quilted up and ready for display by then.
I can't wait to see them all completely finished!

Now, I just know you are chomping at the bit
to see the other three quilts.
I hope the few pictures I shared were just enough of a tease
to encourage you to pop over to their blogs for more!
They have written up such delightful posts.

Here are their links again to make it easy:

Linda
Sheila
& Lesley

Thanks for popping in!
It's a beautiful morning here in Cape Breton.
Hope you're enjoying much of the same!

~karen

31 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow what fun for you all and everyone's work is amazing,good luck with it all Karen xx

Sheila said...

Wonderful post Karen, I am the slacker and haven't posted quite yet but will get to that today ☺ So incredibly blessed to be part of this group 💖💖

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Adore this quilt and the wonderful collaboration behind it. I just read some of your past posts and have noted your idea of the plastic tray with batting glued down for portable design trays. Clever...as is your wonderful quilting! Still raining and raining here outside Ottawa so hope it is drier at your Cape Breton home.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I saw this at Linda's blog yesterday and thought how much you would like your quilt. I had thought to participate in a round robin once years ago but I would be afraid that I wouldn't get what I wanted or would disappoint someone else LOL

Debbie said...

The joys of friendship and the beauty of your work! Wonderful!

Anthea said...

Oh how I've loved reading this post Karen... what a great project to work on together... it's produced some gorgeous quilts... congrats to you & the other ladies for a great effort, not only in patchwork but friendship too x

Maria said...

Oh Karen your Round Robin Quilt is gorgeous.. each of the ladies did a fantastic Row...
I've seen Sheila and it beautiful too .
Will pop over to see the other two now...

Tish Stemple said...

You guys did an amazing job on each quilt!

Needled Mom said...

Gorgeous!!! What a fun project with such talented gals.

Louise said...

Wow!! So much talent and design goodness in this project! And your affection for each other shines through in the photos, too :) I wish I could attend your show in October.

FlourishingPalms said...

This is such a fun kind of round robin! I'm so happy that you're in such a group. I organized one once - we did it as a one-time thing - and that quilt hung over my sofa in our Iowa home for more than a dozen years. It holds many fond memories, especially now as one of the quilters died, and I've lost touch with the others.

As for your sentence wording dilemma - "Sheila hosted us in her lovely home, since she is located half way between Lesley and me." This is correct! When you don't know what word to use, say it to yourself as two separate sentences. (I've revised the sentence for greater understanding)" "She is located near Lesley." "She is located near me." You would never say, "She is located near I." That confirms you chose the right word. I hope I've explained it so you can remember next time. :-)

Keep up the lovely sewing work! You are apparently having too much fun this summer!

canuckquilter said...

All four of you have a flair for design! Such a fun quilt and wonderful friendships. Good luck with your quilt exhibit. I'm sure that will be an exciting experience.

Fiona said...

oh my gosh... jaw dropping... those are all so amazing and so different. What a fantastic effort from you all....

Hugz

Just Ramblin' said...

I am very impressed with your round robin. Everyone's quilt is amazing and so individualized (is that a word.) It is so fun that you have formed this friendship and can create beautiful quit pieces. I hope things will go well for you in October. Now, what will you be working on once things with this round robin settles down? Can't wait to see and hear about it. Nola

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

What fun!!!

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

Wow. It's beautiful. I didn't realize you were doing a quilt show. Good luck.

Lesley said...

What a great post! You did a marvellous job of recapping our day and sharing such great pics! We sure had fun and every quilt is spectacular. Glad you love yours too!

Binsa said...

Loved your post Karen

Karen said...

What a fun time you all have together. Love your quilt!!

Nann said...

Your RR quilt turned out splendidly!

Linda H said...

What an incredible job you talented ladies have done on this Round Robin exchange. I can't wait to see them all in Amherst. Well done NSQBQ!!

Lin said...

It's beautiful Karen - as are they all. So lovely to have such a friendship and to know each others tastes in quilts and design. Good luck for the expo. xx

Bernie Kringel said...

All of you must be so in sync with each other. The sections created all complement each other beautifully. I love the picture of Linda too!
Wish I could go see the show in the fall! I will have to make do with pictures which you will, hopefully, post!

Anonymous said...

Yours is definitely great! I'll go see the others, too. What a great group that sounds like! You were correct in using me in that case - object of the preposition between. I is always a subject and me is objective case. She and I went; or, it was for her and me. =)

Jayne said...

I love your round robin quilt!! Every round fits the preious one so perfectly! What a fun group to be a part of. A quilty group, good friends, quilting...whats not to love?!

Sondra said...

Wow how cool....I love the name too! Wish I was close enough to attend the show!!

Raewyn said...

What a fun R-R for you all - it's amazing to see how different all the quilts are and how you all got it just right for each person! Looking forward to seeing the quilted version/s!

Kate @ Smiles From Kate said...

What a wonderful story of friendship. You know each other so well and each one compliments the others, Looking forward to seeing the quilted versions.

Sandra Walker said...

Oh I LOVE this! Reminds me of last summer when Tish Julie Cindy and I did this very same thing! Looking forward to seeing it quilted! Now to visit the others...

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Oh, how I love this post! If I could click my heels together and be there (in Amherst in October) I would! Your quilt is spectacular and the group shot is such a treat. Well done, ladies, true works of HEART!

Preeti said...

It i s a beautiful quilt!!! Wish you'd looking the camera.
Going to look up Cape Breton now.