Pages

Friday, February 12, 2010

Not Just For the Birds

While you are sitting in the mornings with that steaming cup of coffee grasped in your warming hands, watching the birds at their feeders, and feeling pleased that they are enjoying the bounty you have placed before them, you could be enjoying a special winter treat that's good for you, too!




Hearty Breakfast Muffins

2 C whole wheat flour                    1/3 C vegetable oil
1 C wheat germ                             1 C milk
2 tsp. baking powder                     1 egg
½ tsp. baking soda                        1/4 C molasses
2 tsp. cinnamon                             1/4 C honey
1 tsp. allspice                                ½ C raisins
1 C mashed banana                       1/2 C chopped nuts

In large bowl, combine dry ingredients except raisins and nuts. In small bowl, stir together wet ingredients, including egg. Add wet to dry and stir until just blended. Add raisins and nuts. Fill 12 greased muffin tins. Bake at 375 for about 15-20 minutes. Makes 12 large muffins.
Substitute pumpkin, grated apple, carrot, or zucchini for banana for a different treat.

This recipe freezes well!

12 comments:

swamp4me said...

Just so happens I'm off today and have all those ingredients on hand -- muffin time! (no raisins for me, though - just don't like 'em cooked)

Kat Mortensen said...

I love raisins, cooked and this looks so tempting (you're so clever, showing them warm in the oven).
Can't resist!

Kat

KaHolly said...

Swamp, I'm the same way, but I discovered just this week that if you use golden raisins, simmered in 2T H20 until plumped up, then cooled, you don't even know they are there! Hope you enjoy them! ~karen

KaHolly said...

Hi, Kat! Give them a try! You won't be disappointed at all. I prefer banana, and I never use nuts, but my aunt made them this morning, and put walnuts in them. It made all the difference in the world! ~karen

Carrie P. said...

Karen, I am really going to try these. I am really trying to stay away from all that bad white stuff. (sugar, white flour,etc.) Thanks for sharing.

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

Mmmm! That recipe sounds great. Thanks.

John said...

Oh Karen,

You have wetted my apatite....hope you save one for me, they look really tasty. Partial to a Muffin.

John

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Karen: That does look like a tasty and healthy treat.

Anonymous said...

Yuuummmmy!!!

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Delicious and healthy!

Anonymous said...

I am at the library so your nutritious and yummy post is making me hungry.

Patty L said...

Ooooo! You've just inspired me!!!
We have company coming and I think I'll give these a try!!
Jon will love them and so will all because of all the nutricious ingredients! Thanks!