Pages

Monday, January 11, 2010

Ahhhh, Spring

Bloodroot (Sanguinaria canadensis)

(photo courtesy of  little sister, the "Holly" of KaHolly)

Bloodroot
What time the earliest ferns unfold 
And meadow cowslips count their gold,
A countless multitude they stood,
A Milky Way within the wood.
White are my dreams, but whiter still,
The bloodroot on the lonely hill,
Lovely and pure my visions rise,
To fade before my yearning eyes;
But on that day I thought I trod
'Mid the embodied dreams of God.
Tho' frail those flowers, tho' brief their sway, 
They sanctified one perfect day;
And tho' the summer may forget,
In my rapt soul they blossom yet.
-Danske Dandridge
(1854-1919)


 

4 comments:

Laura Trevey said...

so beautiful ~~~

Niesz Vintage Home said...

Lovely!
How much looongerrrr? (said in the whiney voice of a child during a long car ride). LOL

I can't tell you how excited I get by the first little peeks of green pushing through snow.

Kimberly :-)

DeniseinVA said...

This photo is lovely but when enlarged it is much more so, just gorgeous! Loved the poem also. Thank you for sharing them.

Lorac said...

Bloodroot is a favorite of mine. When I was a little girl, walking to school, bloodroot grew all along the forested path I walked. I used to paint myself with the "blood" from the stems and take the flowers home to my Mother, a little worse for the wear!