Pages

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Edith's Flower Patch

 
I met an older quilter
with a vision.
She wanted to share her passion for quilting
and provide a venue for others to learn and work together.
 
She started a delightful little quilting group
that I decided to join one day.
 
This was huge for me, as I'm not a joiner.
 
Edith and I clicked right away.
I loved this woman.
 
Sadly, she passed away quite suddenly
and I miss her terribly.
 
But she shared a pattern with me
that brings me great joy to work on.
 
 
I travel many long hours during the fall and spring,
and always have a "to go" project prepared
to fill the time on the road and in the air.
That fall,  following her death, I began to work her pattern.
 
 
I don't have any pictures of Edith. 
Our precious time together was
before I afforded myself a (digital) camera 
that I never left home without.
But, someday, I have what will be a
beautiful, bright, and cheery quilt
to remind me of her positive and encouraging manner.
 
 
I work on putting it together a little every summer,
however, because it's for me,
it always takes a back seat to other projects.
But someday, I will feel Edith's warm embrace
whenever we met,
always.
 
Her little quilting group?
They still meet once a week for a couple of hours.
It's more a social gathering now,
without Edith's guidance.
 
And I've moved on.
 
 


20 comments:

Terry said...

What a beautiful quilt this is going to be! And how precious to have so many wonderful memories of your quilty friend.

Carrie P. said...

your blocks are gorgeous. they remind of the nasturtiums blooming in my garden. love the story behind the pattern too.

Sheila said...

Edith would be so proud of your beautiful quilt , isn't it wonderful she came into your life and was a great encouragement and guidance . This lovely quilt will always provide wonderful memories of your dear friend.

Lynn said...

What a remarkable post and a remarkable quilt!

TexWisGirl said...

what a sweet remembrance. :)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that is a cute quilt and a nice memory quilt also! it is hard to join groups isn't it - took me a long time and I still don't feel quite comfortable with it.

Lesley said...

Loved reading your special words about Edith and seeing those gorgeous blocks. What a memory quilt you will have!

Lois Evensen said...

I'm sorry for the the loss of your friend. The pattern and the quilt are so pretty!

Fiona said...

lovely thoughts of Edith and a very pretty quilt to think of her by... I love those little fat dresden flowers...
Hugz

Just Ramblin' said...

How wonderful to have such sweet and tender memories of you special quilting friend. I'm glad you joined the quilting group. The quilt is so bright and cheery and it will always bring special and heart-warming memories of her to mind as you work on it, finish it, and enjoy it. Nola

Paula, the quilter said...

I, too, am not much of a joiner. Much better one-on-one. That is a beautiful quilt and memory of a friend.

Sondra said...

IT is very cheerful! I know she would love to see it...

Abby and Stephanie said...

You'll always have Edith with you in that beautiful quilt.

FlourishingPalms said...

This quilt, and your sentiments related to it, are what quilting is all about. You're in that sweet place that makes us all cherish quilting. Enjoy spending time with your special project.

walk2write said...

Oh, but you haven't moved on! You are still remembering and revealing the beauty of the memory and of Edith's gift to you.

Rick Watson said...

One of the best gifts my mother-in-law left us was three beautiful quilts that she'd made.

R
I'm your latest follower.

Barb said...

That quilt is adorable

Michelle said...

Ooooh, that's pretty! I love the color combination.

DeniseinVA said...

It's gorgeous, bright and beautiful and a lovely reminder of a very special lady.

Unknown said...

Love the vibrant colors, Karen.
I know you quilted a lot of memories into it.
Jill