Pages

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Out of the Mouths of Babes

 
I was visiting some friends yesterday,
and when it was time to give me a ride home,
the mom was trying to coax their 6 year old whirling dirvish
to go along for a ride so she could have a little break.
 
"Does she have a dog?"  "No", said the mom.
"Does she have a cat?"
Again, the response was "no".
"Well, does she have a bird?"
 
The dad piped up and told the little girl
that Karen has lots of birds.
So, in anticipation, she climbed into the van
and off we went.
 
When we arrived at my house only minutes later,
their were 5 or 6 tree swallows
putting on the most amazing aerial show
above the meadow where their houses stand.
 
The American Goldfinches were lined up on the thistle feeder
their little bright yellow bodies
just popping out against the verdant backdrop
of firs and spruce that form a half circle around my feeding station.
 
Robins were hopping from tree top to tree top,
and although we couldn't see them through the foliage
that lines the sides of my property,
the Yellow Warblers filled the air with their song.
 
Without saying a word,
she climbed out of the van to take it all in.
Right on cue, a little Song Sparrow hopped right up to her
for a more thorough inspection.
Little people are not a common sight in my yard.
 
Hands on her hips,
she looked up at me and asked,
"What happens to all your birds when you are gone?"
I explained that my housemate stays all winter
and feeds them for me.
 
"How does he know which ones are yours?"
 
 
 


24 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

lol kids! sounds like you have a lovely yard for birds!

julieQ said...

Awwwww...cutie!!! Have a great day!

TexWisGirl said...

oh, that is sooooo cute!!!

grammie g said...

Hi Karen...That is an adorable story!!
Kids sure think fast with there question!! : )
Grace

Kay L. Davies said...

Oh, Karen, this is the cutest story. I love it! How wise of the dad to tell her you have lots of birds, but I must say that last question is just too funny!
K

Lynn said...

That's adorable!! Isn't it wonderful to share your love of birds and birding with a child?

Fiona said...

very sweet... how lovely for her to come and get a special show!! I think I would enjoy a visit too...
Hugz

Rambling Woods said...

Perfect...lol

Just Ramblin' said...

So delightful! Such a precious story. I love children's comments and thoughts. Very glad that there were birds there for her to see and enjoy when you returned home. And, by the way, "How does he know which are yours?" lol Nola

Lesley said...

Too cute! I picture the little gal looking like Shirley Temple with her hands on her hips! Great tale...

Lois Evensen said...

So perfect! Love it. :))

Tammy said...

That is too funny! Children sure do say the darndest things! Your yard sounds like a fabulous place to visit:)

DeniseinVA said...

Love it! This is such a smile bringer Karen, thank you :)

Unknown said...

So cute..Smile for the day :)) thankyou ..

FAB said...

Karen, that question was priceless.

walk2write said...

I'll bet she will soon be asking for a bird feeder of her own. You have planted a seed in that bright little brain of hers.

Bob Bushell said...

A beautiful question Karen.

Julie G. said...

Oh my, your property sounds like a birders paradise. Love the little girls comment. Priceless!

FlourishingPalms said...

Too cute! I'm sitting here grinning. So glad you wrote down this story. Memories are precious, and I'm glad for you to have this one.

Anonymous said...

Okay...I would love to visit your yard of birdies too!

Rick Watson said...

That's too funny.

dianasfaria.com said...

that is such a sweet story KaHolly. thank you for sharing it with us.
: )

Kathie Brown said...

Karen, such a cute story!

eileeninmd said...

What a cute story! You have wonderful home for the birds. Happy weekend to you! PS, thank for commenting on my Birding is fun post.