Pages

Sunday, June 30, 2019

June OMG? Nada! But.....

Sadly, I did not complete my OMG this month.  You see, Julie, at The Crafty Quilter, is hostessing a Quilt Along using the Disappearing Nine Patch block. I thought this would be one QAL I could keep up with.  While I was foraging around in my fabric cabinet I rediscovered a 1/2 meter bundle of five of Jen Kingwell's Lollies fabrics by Moda.  Last spring, I won them as a door prize at a local quilt show.  I couldn't resist setting aside my OMG to try to catch up with her QAL.  Perhaps it will become my new OMG for July?

But don't let that stop you from visiting Patty over at Elm Street Quilts and seeing all the OMG finishes for June!  There sure is a lot of fabulous eye candy this month!

It really isn't my fault that I didn't have a finish.  June went by way too quickly!  And I'm still waiting for summer to reach Cape Breton.  Every morning, when I step out the door and smell the ocean, it's like winning the lottery.  Now, if Mother Nature could just turn up the temperature a notch or two.......

Unfamiliar with Lollies?  Jen Kingwell cleverly designed fabric in colorful, usable strips on a bolt, as shown by this picture from her Etsy Shop, speaking of eye candy!  The strips were easily cut into 5" squares.





I have made a Disappearing Nine Patch once before, in 2014, as seen in this post.  I increased the size of the squares to 6.5", placing pieced blocks in the diagonal corners of my nine patch with very pleasing results.  For this new quilt, I'm going with a random placement. 


I chose the lap quilt size and need a total of 20 blocks.  
I'm over half way there!

Julie wasn't the only interference I had in completing my OMG.
Constructing Preeti's International Sister's blocks
is like eating potato chips.


I quickly tossed down this pile of 18 sisters
so you could have a little peek.
I've been making one or two every morning.
If your fabrics are precut and waiting,
they whip up quite quickly.

And to warm up on the Janome after so many months away,


I'm beginning with familiar, comfortable, and easy stitching.
I remember telling my elementary school students,
"Start with what you know..."

Good bye to June, hello July!
Why is time is passing so quickly?
Enjoy your upcoming holiday week, USA friends.
Happy Canada Day, CDN friends!

~karen

PS.  Forgive me if I haven't commented on your blog of late.  I am visiting.
But Safari hasn't been playing nicely with Google
and I haven't been able to leave comments very often.
I just read that Google Chrome isn't going to support Adobe anymore.
What's going on out there?


23 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I hadn't seen that fabric - kind of neat

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Life gets in the way sometimes, and that's okay! What you've shown here tells me that you have been busy even though you say you haven't anything to show for June. I am unfamiliar with Lollies but will do some searching, what a clever idea-- perfect for a Disappearing 9 patch!! Your sisters blocks are intriguing, too. I am happy to send you a big box of warmth from North Carolina, ninety degrees today.

Pamela said...

Nice ideas. I hadn't seen lollies before.
I have problems commenting with my computer (safari), but found I can comment with my iPad.

Sondra said...

I think Google wants to be the center of the Universe! I like everything I see up there...I can't imagine being chilled, its soooo hot here! Either way happy July!! My sis has started piecing up her blocks...Im enjoying the process.

kiwikid said...

Well we are sharing your cooler weather but it is a least winter here, your sisters are wonderful and yes they are like eating potato chips!!! Addictive!!
Hope the warm weather comes to you soon.

Jo said...

Jen Kingwell is lovely. Every time I stay at my girlfriends holiday house I visit Jens shop. It is fantastic. Even my husband enjoys the trip as we have lunch at the cafe in the shame shop. Last time we visited we spent quite a bit too. Love her patterns.

Fiona said...

June has definitely gone too fast. love those sister blocks and it's on my wish list. I need to decide on a background fabric....
Well done with what you did get done... any bit is progress
Hugz

e said...

Thank you for sharing international sister. They are beautiful, fun and inspiring. Cant wait to dive in to them.

Createology said...

As I awake to begin July and the second half of 2019 I am reminded of how much time is passing all too quickly and I have done so little each day. Summer is here in Southern Utah and the triple digit heat is nice and warm. I shall send you some in thought. Sewing is non-existent here. I do have projects to work on... Your quilt blocks are fabulous...International Sisters! Enjoy July while it is here...XO

Raewyn said...

You may not have met your goal but you have been using fabric from your stash and creating something that's lovely so that works, I'm sure!! I hope summer comes soon - in the meantime you can enjoy a bit of extra sewing and quilting time :-) Love your International Sisters by the way, that's a hole I feel the urge to dive down!

Louise said...

No problem at this end if you do something different than your OMG! After all, it's just a tool to get you sewing, and it looks like you certainly did that. D9P is such a great block and fun to make along with others in a QAL :)

Susan said...

You were making beautiful things, that's the important thing! You will finish it all eventually. It's okay to flit like a butterfly some months. =) I can't imagine what Chrome is doing, except making their own version of a program that does what Adobe does. I'm not switching programs. I use the Chrome browser for a couple of things, but I don't own a Chrome laptop and am not about to, so I'm sticking with Adobe. I understand it! Thanks for sharing all your great blocks for June!

Preeti said...

Enjoying the journey is so important, much more than getting to the destination. And this journey is much more enjoyable when you have friends along the way. The D9P looks terrific. I am checking out the Etsy shop as soon as I hit publish. We will be having 90 degree days this week. I am happy to split the difference with you :-) It is absolutely terrific to see the International Sisterhood growing :-) Sending lots of sisterly hugs and warm wishes.

Linda said...

You sent me down a rabbit hole by mentioning Jen K. I love her fabrics and her patterns. Lucky you to win some. I love those angular spirals you are stitching.

Cheryll said...

HaPPy Canada Day back at ya...
My hubby is Canadian but living in Australia... so we love to see all the celebrations...xox

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

Definitely needs to warm up!! I'm ready for all this rain to go away.

Pink Rose said...

Hi Karen , I have been commenting using my phone and have just discovered that for some reason it doesn't work,I am still travelling for a bit yet,so will comment when I have Internet.
Happy Canada day my friend take care xx

FlourishingPalms said...

Love seeing what you've been up to, especially those sister blocks. And who doesn't love a disappearing nine-patch? Or even a disappearing four-patch for that matter! You know, my most-pinned Pinterest quilt is a disappearing four-patch. I'm sorry to know about your challenges with commenting on blog posts. I haven't been able to comment because I was away for 12 days with five of those days completely "off the grid!" That was when I was at our daughter's lakeside home in Missouri. Such a different way to function! It was a reminder of how important technology is in our daily lives.

Beth @ Cooking Up Quilts said...

You have a lot going on Karen, lots of great projects! Summer is a time for enjoying so many things and I think quilting naturally gets pushed back a little. No worries - your projects will be waiting for you when you have more time.

Allie said...

I cannot believe we are halfway through July - where has the time gone!!!! Oh girl I had to go over to Preeti's blog and get the pattern for those gorgeous Int'l Ladies, I cannot wait to make some up. What a GORGEOUS block. Your quilting is looking awesome!!!!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

All your projects are beautiful, and can wait a little ;) Enjoy your summer!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Sure love your quilting. Sounds like you live in a beautiful place. It's to hot to even open a door here especially with the humidity. I'll be waiting for my 10 days of Fall.....LOL.

JanineMarie said...

I saw that Lollies fabric in a local store the other day and wondered what could be done with it. Now I know! I’m in love with the International Sisters and can’t wait to see them dancing together in a quilt.