Pages

Monday, September 2, 2019

Scrappy is as Scrappy Does

Well, August certainly went by in a blur.

My scrappy heart did a happy dance when it saw this timely post by Blossom Heart Quilts.  I jumped right up, left my morning cup of coffee half full, and got right to work.

Why was I so excited?  Well, 2 seasons ago, I precut a baggie full of scraps into 3.5” x 6.5” rectangles to bring back to Cape Breton for a specific quilt, but once I put it up on my design wall, I didn’t care much for it, so the rectangles have been sitting in my cabinet all this time.  This summer, I decided to use my collection of grays to make Cluck Cluck Sew’s heart blocks and use them up.





After making only 4, I wasn’t sure I wanted to go this way, either, but the fun part is that these heart blocks generate bonus HSTs and 1.5” scraps.








So, I quickly made the 8 bonus HSTs into units for Alyse's Double Dash.  They’ll only finish up at 6.5”, a size not included in her pattern, but that’s okay.  The block is adorable!  It will make a wonderful doll quilt for A Doll Like Me!




I have decided to continue making the heart blocks and the Double Dash blocks at the same time.  This created a moral dilemma, however, because I don’t need the pattern to make these units.  But after a beautiful day out in the kayak, when I returned home, I went ahead and bought the pattern anyway.  That’s only fair, right?  Or am I going overboard?  What would you do?

I've been working diligently on my leader/ender quilt, but am going to have to table it until I generate more scraps.  Here is a picture of my progress, 2 out of 5 rows sewn together. 




I have row 3 ready to attach as soon as the sashing strip is pieced, and the remaining blocks are constructed.  They just need to be sashed together.  This quilt top, when finally finished, will measure 58" x 74" with no additional border.  Oh, I did sash the outer edges before I put it away.  I guess that  could be considered as the border.

Today, I am linking up to Quilting is More Fun than Housework.  If you follow this link, you can see how other quilters are making use of all their scraps.



With September upon us, my resident birds have flown the coop, so to say, and have been replaced with the random butterflies and dragonflies.  Here's a picture of one of my favorite backyard visitors.



Twelve-spotted Skimmer
(Libella pulchella)
male

Happy Labor Day!
~Karen

21 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I like that churn dash block - cute

Sondra said...

I love the leader/ender it is really striking! Glad you're getting out in the kayak too...love your dragon buddy...Im going to miss my summer birds!

Fiona said...

getting lots done with your scraps... I do love your leader ender project....
Hugz

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I am loving the leader/ender. I'm going to Google what that name means. Everyone uses it. Lucky for me most of the birds that come to my feeders stay year round. they go off to the woods and fields in the summer but come back to the feeders in the fall. Except my faithful Crows, Cardinals and Wood Peckers. And they are the ones I love the most. Fall is coming on at my house where the spiders are abundant.
xx, Carol

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I left a comment that got lost. Anyway I mentioned I liked the Leader/ender quilt. Since I didn't know what a leader/ender was off to Google I went. The leader/ender makes sense except I now have another question. If the leaders/ender prevent that little thread nest you can get when you start stitching AND allow you to have a 1/4" seam from the beginning of the block, won't you have those issues in your leader/enders?
xx, Carol

kiwikid said...

Wonderful blocks and quilt. I am with you and would probably buy the pattern too. The dragonfly is a stunner, I see you call it a skimmer so maybe it is not a dragon fly?? Beautiful photo anyway!

Lin said...

What a great way to use up the offcuts and the little churndash is so cute. Beautiful dragonfly. xx

Louise said...

So much scrappy goodness in this post! I really like your L/E star blocks. That little twinkliness in the center really makes them unique :)

Createology said...

My entire Summer was a blur as it passed so quickly. Fall is in the air now that September is here. We have had ZERO rain our entire “Monsoon” month of August. My rain dancing skills are sadly not working. Your quilt top with the greens and yellow stars is lovely. Funny how we plan a project and then a completely different project takes precedence. My Muse has not returned since we moved and down-sized just over a year ago. I still have organizing and purging and sorting and labeling to accomplish which will make a great Winter project. My walk-in-closet aka The Vault needs lots of attention. I just know my Muse is hiding out in The Vault! LOL
Enjoy your Fall/Autumn dear.

Maria said...

Your Scrap projects are looking great and the wee churn dash will make a cute Doll Quilt..
Yes I also buy too many patterns...

Raewyn said...

I can see why you got excited about the Churndashes, Karen. Such a fun use of scraps and I'm looking forward to seeing your pile grow. I probably would have ended up buying the pattern too, even though it seems so straight forward - better that Alyse gets the credit for the cute twist on the block. The heart blocks look good too. Nice that you have one block generating scraps for another that is being made simultaneously! I love your LE project as well. Such an inspiring post!! Oh and great photo of the 'skimmer' - his wings are amazing!

Terry said...

You have so many great quilts in progress! They're all going to be beautiful! :0)

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Cute churn dash blocks. Love the hearts too. Even if I figure out a quilt on my own I buy the pattern because it keeps the industry going. I had one of those visitors that insisted on sitting by me on the porch yesterday.

Preeti said...

Honestly Karen, I would not buy a pattern for hearts or for churn dash blocks. It is a traditional block and there are a dozen free tutorials. There are several patterns that are genuinely new and the designer has put time and effort in it. This one - I don't think so.

A doll quilt is a worthy cause and I have donated to them in the past. They are also an excellent use of scraps.
I love love love your green blocks because they have a heart of gold :-) just like you do. It shines in everything you do.

Carol Swift said...

It's hard to purchase a pattern for something that can easily be put together, but it was a nice gesture on your part. I do love how you put the hearts and churn blocks together...so scrappy and cute!

JanineMarie said...

So nice of you to purchase the pattern. That’s a dilemma for me, too, because often the basic design is one I’m familiar with from years of quilting. I guess it depends on the uniqueness of the pattern—in this case the coloration. That pattern is delightful, though, and I’m sure the designer appreciates your support. You ran out of green scraps!! I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around that.

Susan said...

I would definitely buy the pattern. Alyse has a copyright on the design, and she thought of it first. It doesn't matter that in looking at it, I can make it It matters that she thought of it first and created it in a pattern with the measurements and directions. Definitely, I'd buy it. I would feel that I was stealing otherwise.

Your little block looks so cute, and so do the hearts. Wonderful doll quilt for A Doll Like Me! Perhaps my favorite thing is the leader-ender blocks, though - the color and the design looks wonderful!

Barb said...

I love everything you are doing...and that leader and ender...wow!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Great projects!

Paige said...

Love that you re-purposed units from a past project! Nice blocks!

Binsa said...

Enjoyed your post Karen, love the double churn dash blocks