Pages

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Not Your Usual Distraction

 
My time in TX is getting shorter and shorter.
I've been sewing and sewing and sewing,
trying to finish up projects that I've started,
and, of course, new ones that I don't really have time for,
(but when Crafty Daughter asks for something, I stop everything
and make it for her).
 
 
Yesterday, as I was sewing away, I noticed a little movement
at the window next to my sewing machine.
 

Well, of course, being the nature nerd that I am,
all sewing came to a stop!
 

 
I always sew with my camera at the ready, don't you?
When I'm back up on the island, my binoculars are right there, too!
 

This is a Green Anole,
(Anolis carolinensis), common in TX.
I'm assuming she's not green because it was early morning, cloudy.
and being on the fence, she took on the color of the fence.
This is a poor picture, but I wanted to show her little
dewlap-py thingy.
 
Here's a better picture showing the dewlap,
borrowed from the link provided above.
 

 
We played hide and seek for a little while.
 
 
 
And then she realized I wasn't going to harm her,
so she posed nicely.  Either that, or I tired her out!
 
 
She wasn't out there for my amusement, however.
She had a little friend with her,
 
 
had other things on their minds!
I won't show THAT picture:),
but let me just say, that's how I know she's a she!
At that point, I gave them my privacy and returned to sewing my
 
 
Jingle pieced block #2
 
She returned later in the afternoon,
and this time she WAS green.
 
 
She changed color quickly.
 
 
I was able to get a few close-ups
 
 
before I returned to the sewing machine
and made a quick gift for a young TX cousin.
 
 
I've been making quite a few bibs and burp cloths this winter.
I discovered that if I purchased a bath towel,
I could back the bib with it and eliminate the need for batting.
Worked great, and I was able to get 6 bibs from one
regular sized bath towel.
 
Okay, enough computer time,
back to the sewing area.
The mornings just aren't long enough.
 
 
 


13 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

LOVE the visitors! so cute! we'll occasionally see them around here, but moreso if i walk out into the woods by some cut wood piles.

Missy Shay said...

We get small lizards crawling on our windows, we call it cat tv because my indoor cats go crazy trying to catch them! LOL

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love watching lizards, we have a variety of them here in Arkansas. I too have the camera by the sewing table as it is next to the window. never know what you will see

Carol Swift said...

This was a fun post--love the lizards (I'm a fan of them!) Your sewing was very cool, too. :O)

Linda Reeder said...

You are a very productive seamstress! It would take me much longer to accomplish all of that, even without time out for lizard watching.

Lynette said...

Love your Jingle blocks! Yeah, I would have had to stop everything to check out the lizard, too. :D

Fiona said...

Loved the lizard commentary.... He looks like he has a very kinky tail???? Nice that you gave them a bit of privacy - I can just imagine them "those papirazzi never let us alone!!" Looks like some lovely sewing going on... I think bibs with towelling work the best... lots of absorbency...
Hugz

Just Ramblin' said...

You have the most interesting things happen to you! I am not a fan of lizards, but, I must admit you got some really fun shots. So very nice of you to give them a little privacy!
Just glad this little lizard wasn't outside my window!
I like the bibs you've done. You have really accomplished a lot while in Texas. Nola

Kathie Brown said...

What fun! I love anoles! My son had one as a pet when he was young! Great thinking on using the towels as backing for the bibs! So sorry that you will be leaving soon!

Lesley said...

Loved seeing your beautiful blocks...and of course, your little green friends! What a photographer you are! Enjoy your last few days in the warmth. I am visiting DD this week and yesterday the weather was like summer here!

Abby and Stephanie said...

I've never seen a green lizard in the desert or drier regions. Growing up in the desert we would see whip tails, iguana, and other lizard folks. Adorable bib set. Just add cowboy boots.

Lynn said...

Love the lizard pictures! What a beautiful green she is. I'd never thought to use a towel as a backing, I may give it a try now. Thanks!

Binsa said...

Hello Karen, I enjoyed your post......last year when we went over the Snowy Mountains...we came across what we thought was a newborn calf...when we had a closer look it was an eagle which stood approx. 2 1/2 feet...we are not sure whether it was a Wedge Tail Eagle the most beautiful plumage....a once in a lifetime moment...hugs lyn